Saturday, February 18, 2012

Tortilla Soup





Ever since Kim introduced me via her blog to Tortilla Soup, I have been in love.  I kind of do my own version since I have to use the crock pot these days.  But that has also allowed me to add more yummy vegetables.  Kind of like a warm salsa??  But better.  And each time I make it, it's a little different but here are some basics.  And I'm chuckling now because I know this doesn't really look like a recipe.  But with soup, you can just kind of throw in what you have, right?  

*Added... if you'd like the real recipe with measurements, I've added it at the very end*


a little oil
onion, chopped
some kind of corn product (corn tortillas, crushed up corn chips or cornmeal with water)
garlic
green, red, yellow peppers, chopped
cilantro, chopped
28 oz tomatoes (I prefer crushed or diced)
carton chicken broth
2T cumin
2T chili powder
salt
heat: cayenne pepper or jalapenos

And the toppings are a necessity!  Avocado, sour cream, and cheese.




Tortilla Soup (from Stop and Smell the Rosemary)
6 tbs vegetable oil
8 corn tortillas, chopped
6 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1 medium onion, chopped
1  28oz can diced tomatoes
2 tbs ground cumin
1 tbs chili powder
3 bay leaves
6 cups chicken stock/broth 
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
4-6 cooked chicken breasts, shredded or cubed 
(I use 4 and I bake them and then shred them with two forks. Really, 4 is plenty of chicken).
Optional garnishes:
Shredded Monterey Jack cheese
cubed avocado
Sour Cream
2 corn tortillas, sliced and fried crisp (or a few tortilla chips) 
Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat.  Add tortilla, garlic, cilantro and onion. Saute 2-3 minutes.  Stir in tomatoes.  Bring to a boil and add cumin, chili powder, bay leaves and chicken stock.  Return to a boil.  Reduce heat.  Add salt and cayenne.  Simmer 30 minutes. Remove the bay leaves and stir in the chicken. Reheat for a few minutes.  Spoon into bowls and garnish with cheese, avacado, sour cream and/or tortilla chips.

2 comments:

  1. How funny. I do her same chicken tortilla soup!!! My must-have chips are 'have a corn chip' from Whole Foods. The soup is def a family favorite. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. We sure do LOVE that soup. I might try your crockpot version sometimes too though. I find the original recipe to be very quick and easy though (30 minutes) even though it does not look it.

    ReplyDelete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS