Sunday, April 29, 2012

Strategic Grocery Shopping Update



Moonlight Punch recipe from Martha Stewart!

2 ounces White Dog or Moonshine
1/2 ounce Fresh Lemon Juice
1/2 ounce Fresh Orange Juice
1/2 ounce Real Grenadine
1/2 ounce Simple Syrup
3 blackberries muddled

Shake ingredients over ice and strain into a collins glass filled with fresh ice. Tope with club soda.

After Spring Break, I felt we had enough groceries to make it a week without doing my weekly shopping trip.  So, I decided to take a week off.  And let me remind you that a week equals 7 days, not the 5 days that MY brain assigns.  When am I going to realize and accept that CouponMom is right?!?

Before I knew it, I found myself making 3 "quick trips" that week to the store.  And when I added up the receipts, they equaled $150!  I wish I had pictures to show you.  I wish I had taken pictures of the three trips of a couple of items that ended up totaling about $50 shy of my normal trip... the normal trip that I wish I had a picture to show the cart which runneth over!

All in all, that week was a good lesson... I am reassured that strategic grocery shopping is working for our family: organization-wise, time-wise, and money-savings-wise.  Additionally, the week off taught me that, for us, it is best for me to continue shopping once a week even if it appears that there is plenty of food in the house because that might be the part of the cycle where we buy toilet paper, paper towels, shampoo, conditioner, etc.

So, this week I found myself back on the horse, all organized and prepared and ready to get back on schedule.  I even had a few more coupons than I normally do- probably 10 or so?

When I checked out, the cashier said, "You saved $87 and that's the most I've ever seen!"  And then the cute, young mom behind me said, "You saved $87??!!  I'm surprised some bells didn't go off!"

I felt my face flush a little bit and I told her that my ever-so-thoughtful husband (wink) had ordered CouponMom's book for me on his ipad as a great New Year's resolution idea.  And she said, "Well, that's great!   If I were you, I'd be heading to Nordstom for a new pair of shoes today!"

Then another mom walked in and we realized all our children attend the same school.  I had this urge to tell them everything I do because it is not hard and I want everyone to save money where they can!  ...Become more efficient...  Save where you can... So you can spend where you want to.

One of my dreams is to work with Adam and make a one-size-fits-all easy budget system for couples because I think it is bigger than just money.  I truly believe it is a large part of our successful-thus-far marriage.  I believe it keeps communication lines open, evenly distributes the "power," and keeps a family's goals aligned.

And yet I also completely understand why a couple would not want to look at the numbers.  Numbers are factual, they don't lie, they can be depressing, and there is no room for denial or avoidance.

So last night when we attended a fundraiser benefiting homeless women and children, Adam heard they may have a need teaching the women who have found employment how to successfully budget and I hope that we are able to help with that.  ...Although, this is the same man who was serving a hopefully legal moonshine cocktail last night...

2 comments:

  1. Sign me up ...Please! My dad was just asked to advise and council families who receive houses through Habitat for Humanity. The problem isn't always getting the house it is keeping it. Go Adam! Go Livi ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lizzie- with your dad around, I'm sure you don't need any pointers but I just might start brainstorming with Adam because it would be fun and I think it could be helpful!

    ReplyDelete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS