Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Everyday Essentials



I love Caslon tees.  
I realized a looong time ago that I am not a great clothing shopper.  In the 7th grade, I remember my best friend and I convincing our parents to let us buy our back-to-school clothes by ourselves.  I don't remember our moms being there but I can't imagine they just dropped us off at the mall, either?  We each had about $250 to spend and when we left, my girlfriend had several outfits while all I can remember having is 2 sweaters and maybe a pair of jeans (I'm sure there were a few more things in there- I don't think this was the same time we got our matching perms :).  

I remember each of them vividly and I loved them!  One had an argyle-ish pattern... both were pretty classical- but I do remember coming home and thinking, Well, I hope no one gets sick of seeing me wear these!  Ha!  

I think it's a "skill" to be able to know what you need to have a practical, fun wardrobe for your particular life!  And I wasn't born with this skill.  How does everyone else DO it so effortlessly??

With the move, I did clear out some of my things.  But I cleaned out and organized EVERY. OTHER. closet in the house before tackling mine!  And I made myself a promise that I wouldn't buy myself anything until I organized and took inventory!  I have a habit of going to the store and buying something I like when really I need something else.


A few months ago, two of my girlfriends came to visit me and shop and one of them pointed out the long sleeve Caslon tees.  I wouldn't have EVER noticed them!  But now they are my favorite!  

Top from Splash of Pink

So I started paying attention to pieces I need and the list was something like: a slip, better workout bottoms, new tennis shoes, everyday shirts (to wear with dark jeans, white jeans, & shorts), cool everyday skirts (short & long) for hot summer days, casual dresses, cute white shirts (to go with colored shorts & capris), long gold costume necklace, a new purse, and a pair of summer wedges.  Oh, and I like to get a new bathing suit each year.  Fun times.
Capris from Athleta

So after compiling a list over several months, I have begun chipping away at it.  I'm hopeful that I have progressed from my two sweaters and a pair of jeans!


Lilly Pulitzer top

2 comments:

  1. Another great post....I am not very good at thinking of my wardrobe in the big picture. CAbi clothes are like garanimals for adults and help me feel like I have multiple outfits from a few basic pieces.

    I also feel like I lack consistency and focus between the clothes I like - a little anthro, some Boden, CAbi, J. Crew topped off with Lilly Pulitzer. All of these don't always go together!

    I like the pieces you are picking so far.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow....looks like you purchased some great pieces!

    ReplyDelete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS