Monday, May 7, 2012

Perfect Every Time


Beef Tenderloin

It took us a few years, but our family has found that Friday nights are best spent at home with dinner and a movie.  My favorite is ordering pizza!  If we do have to go out, Adam and I have to really psyche ourselves up for it because Friday evenings are just hard.

Now that the kids are older, it's fun to have another family (with similarly-aged kids) over.  The kids play and eat and start a movie while the adults can sit and eat and chat (as adults!).

I picked up a beef tenderloin and had the butcher trim and tie it for me.  Ina Garten's recipe below has never failed me.  Others have... (like one New Year's Eve party where I overcooked it!)  We had that with a salad and roasted asparagus and my friend brought a most delicious chocolate pie!  Perfect Friday night!


Ingredients

  • 1 fillet of beef, trimmed and tied (mine was 3 pounds)
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 1 tablespoon kosher salt
  • 1 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper

Directions

Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F.
Place the beef on a sheet pan and pat the outside dry with a paper towel. Spread the butter on with your hands. Sprinkle evenly with the salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for exactly 22 minutes for rare and 25 minutes for medium-rare.
Remove the beef from the oven, cover it tightly with aluminum foil, and allow it to rest at room temperature for 20 minutes. Remove the strings and slice the fillet thickly.
Note: Be sure your oven is very clean or the high temperature will cause it to smoke.

3 comments:

  1. I can't even count the number of times I have made this recipe from Ina:))))
    My other trick is to buy the tips from the butcher , roast them close to each other the same way as whole roast. Next slice and put on baguette with parm shavings and arugula :)))))) Ina's recipes are fool proof.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Ina! YUM! I bought the tips but I didn't know what to do with them! Thanks, Lizziefitz!

    ReplyDelete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS