Sunday, September 9, 2012

Blue Cheese and Honey Bruschetta


Blue Cheese and Honey Bruschetta


1 baguette, sliced and toasted
8 oz. gorgonzola blue cheese
honey


Toast the baguette slices at 400 degrees until golden.
Spread gorgonzola on each slice.
Drizzle honey over the cheese.



When I was 8 months pregnant with Mary Fowler, my dad's huDge family in Richmond had a Christmas party and everyone brought something to share.  Because my family was staying at a hotel, my mom brought a ginormous platter of sweets from Wildflour in Roanoke (one of my girlfriends and my favorite lunch spots :)

I was big and pregnant and wasn't mingling much because I really just wanted to sit down.  The mistake I made was plopping down right beside the dessert platter.  I ate one or two or ten of every one of their desserts represented.

Afterwards, my aunt Jean and uncle Jack had us to their house where they brought out a huDge wheel of cheese that friends from Italy sent them for Christmas.  I remember sitting down at the coffee table and slicing one piece after another and drizzling it with honey.  It tasted so good!

Me, standing in front of The Jefferson Christmas tree
hours before the "sweets incident"

Just keeping it real... on the way back to the hotel that night, I begged Adam to get me a "Hot Now" Krispy Kreme doughnut (you know, because I hadn't had enough sugar).  And hindsight, I think that was just too much for me to handle.  I started having horribly, painful contractions.  And we were out of town.  So we called my OB and he said it sounded like I was in pre-term labor and that we should head to the nearest hospital.

Luckily one dose of the anti-contraction drug did the trick and Mary Fowler stayed put until her due date in February.

But now that we have that dramatic event 9 years behind us, I am searching for the cheese and honey combo.  I made these for a neighborhood get together and they were well-received... but not as good as the cheese I had that night.  So the search continues!

Interestingly, as I was thinking back to that Christmas, I realized it was the last Christmas we had with my aunt Jean.  She died of a brain tumor when Mary Fowler was 3 months old.  She was one of the most special ladies I've known.  I think about her every day and I live very close to her daughters, my cousins.  She was so beautiful, graceful, generous, kind, loving, gentle... and she loved every child as if it was her own.  A true mother.




1 comment:

  1. Don't you love the big ideas we get when we're pregnant! Our poor husbands! So hard to think of wonderful people lost. xo

    ReplyDelete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS