Sunday, June 30, 2013

Update

Lime Mojito recipe

Summer is here!  I love it!  The kids were in vacation bible school last week but that's really the only thing I signed them up for this summer.  We had to run to Potterybarn today and they had us blasting the VBS music CD to and from!

A few weeks before school was out, my parents invited us for a week at the beach with them.  We had a wonderful vacation (need to upload those pics) and one of my favorite memories was playing cards with Mary Fowler.  She's officially addicted and our favorite is 500 Rummy.  So fun!

On the kids' last day of school we went out to lunch to celebrate with friends and then took off for Roanoke and Smith Mtn. Lake to see my cousin in town from Santa Fe, NM before she headed back.  My only regret is that I don't think I snapped a pic of that visit but I plan to forever remember Emily crying when we walked in because she said Mary Fowler looked JUST like me???  That's a compliment- my girl is just so gorgeous.

We had a great visit over Father's Day with my sister and her family, my parents, and our family from Chapel Hill.  Adam loved his photo book for 2012, as it has become the traditional Father's Day gift. {I used to do one for the year and give it as a Christmas present, but by delaying it, the yearbook includes the whole year, including Christmas and New Year's}

I've been falling behind with my online digital scrapbooking class but I learned so much and I plan to use several of her digital layouts.  The kids and I have been working on one all about their Great Grandpa Dodd who died this past February.  We've been making a list of his favorite things- the things we think about when we think of him.

I have been spending a lot of time with a kitchen and dining room renovation.  We worked within our home's footprint but the place has still been a construction zone for about 3 months.  The painter just finished a few days ago so now I just need to finish up some things and take some pictures!  We are really loving it.

One unintended result from having to go out to eat for about 2 months is that I am fully committed to my strategic grocery shopping!  I missed it!  {Never thought I'd say that!}  Don't get me wrong, we LOVE to go out to eat, but partly for "entertainment" value- not out of necessity.  Once we could use the kitchen again, I had a BIG shopping trip and it made me so happy knowing how much $$ I was saving us.  Amazingly, I am not sick of Chick Fil A... go figure.

My parents came to Richmond for my wonderful Aunt MaryAnn's 70th birthday.  My equally wonderful fairy Godmother, Aunt Sandy, had a party for her and the ladies of the family, and then that night my dad and uncle treated us to dinner at our favorite restaurant Azzurro.  I made the birthday cake and it turned out {YAY!} but the best part was Mary Fowler helping me out.  More on that later...

The only real vacation we have planned is a family beach trip to Isle of Palms.  I'm most excited about spending some time with our relatives from Denver, who we only get to see a couple of times a year.

Then we got a really nice surprise! Adam received an award from work and they are sending us to Hawaii!  We are SO excited.  It really is one of those "places" on my bucket list.  We'll be at the Fairmont Wild Orchid on the Big Island if anyone has any suggestions!

6 comments:

  1. Yay! You will love Hawaii! Congrats to Adam! Your summer sounds really nice thus far. Can't wait to hear more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course she looks like you you're both gorgeous!!! Oh I am so excited about your Hawaii trip! I love it there, went to big island for a wedding. so fab!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz- You are too sweet! I caught up with you but wasn't signed in to leave a comment. Wow! Lots of change! Can't wait to hear more!

      Delete
  3. Gosh it's good to hear from you....
    Was thinking about you earlier today and so pleased to check in and find a recent post. Sounds like your summer is humming along just like it should - a nice mix of home time and travel time. I can't wait to hear more about your kitchen remodel - I can only imagine how gorgeous it is! Yeah to Hawaii as well - fun times and free!

    Enjoy all that summer brings xoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Free is right:) The kitchen is nice- nothing crazy- but you saw the before so it's definitely an improvement. Hope you all are well!!

      Delete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS