Friday, July 26, 2013

White Marble Countertop


When I was doing research on kitchen countertops, I first planned to use white granite.  But none of the ones I saw in person were "white" enough.  They all had a green or purple-ish tint that I was afraid I would tire of.  We tried to keep ourselves in the granite slab areas, but we kept wandering into the marble rooms...

Finally we decided to go with marble and be okay with the wear.  It is so beautiful and nothing else looks quite like it.  Adam says it will take on the patina of our family:)

Supposedly a "honed" finish shows less wear.  It seems that with marble, staining is not the major problem which proved true when Davis drew on paper with a red Sharpie and it bled through... and came out with some good old elbow grease- but etching is.  But no one had any examples of what "etching" looked like.




Our first day with the marble went well.  That night as I cleaned up after dinner, I told Adam that I had cleaned the island so don't use it.

Well, the next morning I came downstairs and noticed a round "watermark" as well as a small, little triangle near it.  Like a forensic detective, I deduced that Adam had a Corona with lime and it left etch marks.

It didn't take long for us to break it in...

Acids in foods like citrus fruit, tomatoes, etc. seems to cause the most etching.  Luckily the honed finish doesn't really show the etching unless you bend over and look at crazy angles, with the right lighting, like I did to snap these photos.


 I was also told that marble is softer than granite, which is why I chose absolute black granite in a leather finish for the surrounding countertops.  I wanted some virtually indestructible counters for the majority of the kitchen.



13 comments:

  1. Are you stressing? Don't . It looks beautful and eventually the whole island will patina beautifully . It is just the initial "loved" marks that make you second guess yourself. Marble counters have been around for centuries;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I keep telling myself... and they have been on FLOORS, too, for centuries, right??

      Delete
  2. They are beautiful and after a while you won;t even notice the etching. I don't think we have scratches but we have a lit of etching in the kitchen. The white marble all over our bathrooms has held up really well. And you can have them rebuffed from time to time.

    You kitchen looks gorgeous!!!! And I love the new blog look too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh i have etching all over my bar!!! guess its the nice "patina" of good times!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The kitchen looks great!
    We need to do new counter tops and I really want marble, etchings and all! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Olivia! Wish you were on Instagram ( lizziefitz5) miss you. Would you mind sharing the cabinet paint color? Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Instagram is on my to-do list as Mary Fowler recently joined. I tried sending you a message via Pinterest but I'm not sure it went thru. The paint color is BM White Dove.

      Delete
  6. I love the detail this post provides on the etching that is always talked about. I love the look of marble and your kitchen is absolutely beautiful! The backsplash, counters and white cabinet are so fresh and classic - great job! We used our first marble in Grace's bathroom and I need to get over the toothbrush shaped marks that have started because of leaving something on the counter. We have a beautiful old chest with marble top by our back door that was my parents. The wear is amazing on the marble top and the patina is charming rather than ugly. I need to keep that in mind! XoXo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your kitchen and your counter top looks beautiful! Now, that you know that acidic containing food can put on marks on your top so better be careful with it. But, there's actually nothing to stress out of it. Just enjoy cooking because you have a very nice kitchen, Olivia. -alphagraniteinc.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your island is really adorable. I love how neat the white marble looks. But too bad, you will be stress out with all the cleanings it requires because of the etchings.
    Mass-Granite.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I had my kitchen renovated I made sure to hire a professional for the marble tile installation. I'm sure I would have messed it up! :)

    ReplyDelete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS