Sunday, November 24, 2013

Cranberry Sauce with Apple & Orange



I love the story of this recipe.  One Thanksgiving I was lamenting to a friend that I was asked only to bring boring cranberry sauce, that I never even eat!  She shared this recipe with me and told me it is always a big hit.

She was right!  I made minor changes.  It is fun to make and really delicious!  I love it!  Also, it can be made a day in advance and refrigerated.

Cranberry Sauce with Apple & Orange

1/2 orange
2 cups water
1 tart apple like Granny Smith, pippen, or McIntosh
3 cups fresh cranberries
1 1/4 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Using a potato peeler, peel the zest of the orange (just the orange skin) and small dice.  Place the diced orange peel in a small saucepan.  Add the 2 cups water, bring to boil, and cook for 10 minutes.  Drain and set the peel aside.  Squeeze the juice of the orange half and set juice aside.  

Peel, quarter and core the apple, then dice into small pieces.  Place in a saucepan.  Sort the cranberries, discarding any soft ones.  Add to the apples along with the reserved, diced, cooked orange peel, the reserved orange juice, the sugar, and cinnamon.  Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cover partially.  Simmer gently, stirring occasionally, until the sauce has thickened, the apple is tender and the cranberries have burst, 10-15 minutes.

Transfer to a bowl and let cool before serving.  Or cover and refrigerate.  Bring to room temperature before serving.

Makes 3 1/2-4 cups.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS