Sunday, November 10, 2013

Thanksgiving Meal Plan

my collage photo credit

This year we are having Adam's parents visit for Thanksgiving.  I get more excited when I have a menu, and I have learned over the years to keep things simple.  For me, that means offering the traditional items that everyone loves, while adding one or two new things.

It also means thinking about the color variety and the ingredients (not too many, keep it simple) and the kitchen capacity.  You can only do so many things in one or two ovens "at the last minute."

We love sweet potatoes, but not in a sweet casserole-way.  So I'd like to have plain ol' baked sweet potatoes with butter and salt:)  Speaking of potatoes, Davis loves mashed potatoes... I actually prefer scalloped potatoes, but I'll ask the family and see which they prefer.

For the Brussels sprouts, I usually roast them but I may try sauteing them this time- one less oven item.

Next up!  The cranberry orange compote.  One year for Thanksgiving my only assignment was the cranberry sauce.  I was not excited about it.  But after lamenting to a friend, she gave me her favorite recipe and it was delicious!  I don't know why I only make it at Thanksgiving because it is SO good!  Can't wait to share!

I'm very lucky that my mother in law is a fabulous pie maker so she will take care of the pecan and pumpkin pies!

I plan to post recipes on each item, so I'll start with my plan for the turkey.  This is totally my mom's "recipe."  She makes turkeys all year long and simply: buys a turkey with a pop-up timer and uses a bag.  It is foolproof!


The directions are inside.  Follow them.  Works every time and only takes about 2.5 hours (depending on the size of your turkey) as opposed to all day!  After the turkey is in the bag, I usually sprinkle liberally with Lawry's Seasoned Salt and some pepper.  Done.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS